Caring for Someone with Alzheimers / Dementia
As a family member or friend of someone with Alzheimer’s and Dementia, you shoulder a particularly heavy burden. Helping this person keep some sort of normalcy is key and the type of care needed is physically and emotionally demanding. Rent a Daughter is here to help. Understanding that you are not alone is the first step.
- Over 4.5 million people in the U.S. have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.
- About one in ten people over age 65 have the disease.
- Alzheimer’s disease or other types of dementia affect up to 50 percent of people over the age of 85.
Alzheimer’s home care services
Rent a Daughter wants you to know that providing specialized non-medical Alzheimer’s care services in the home is one of the most positive ways you can help. Most Alzheimer’s patients-particularly those in the early and middle stages of the illness-can be cared for at home instead of at nursing homes or other facilities.
- More than half of all diagnosed Alzheimer’s patients continue to live in home settings.
- 80 to 90 percent of these rely on family and friends for care.
With Rent a Daughter’s specialty Alzheimer’s home care services, your loved one will receive a customized care regimen that will take into account their environment and special needs, thereby making daily life less difficult and stressful.
Alzheimer’s home care is a specialized service different from traditional home care, because individuals with Alzheimer’s have distinct care needs from other seniors. In Alzheimer’s care, the care plan is designed around the unique challenges of Alzheimer’s disease, as well as the recipient’s individual care needs. Care is provided in the comfort of the senior’s home, and services are performed by caregivers who are uniquely qualified to care for individuals living with Alzheimer’s.
- Familiar frame of reference
- Freedom to move about in a more familiar and unrestricted space
- A way to minimize those stresses that can aggravate the symptoms of dementia and the Alzheimer’s disease
- Daily orientation to time, place, person
- Continuity of daily routines and schedule
Rent a Daughter makes it possible for those coping with Alzheimer’s to age in place. Research has shown that familiar surroundings play an important role in the well-being of those with early stages of Alzheimer’s. A move to a nursing facility can trigger confusion, anxiety, stress, and agitation. Our Alzheimer’s care services ensure those with Alzheimer’s are able to remain at home where they are happiest and most comfortable.
Our Alzheimer’s caregivers can also relieve the burdens faced by family caregivers, who may find themselves overwhelmed by the responsibilities that come with Alzheimer’s care. We provide regular monitoring, routine check-ins, and an after-hours line so that you and your family have the peace of mind you need.
Alzheimer’s home care services can be tailored based on the symptoms of Alzheimer’s your loved one is experiencing and the disease progress. Alzheimer’s services and various levels of care may include:
- Household chores
- Bathing or showering
- Meal preparation and eating supervision
- Grooming and dressing assistance
- Incontinence care
- More than six million people in the U.S. and U.K. are living with Alzheimer’s or dementia.
- About one in ten people over the age of 65 have Alzheimer’s and the disease affects more than 50 percent of people over the age of 85.
- For a great resource on coping with Alzheimer’s or dementia in your family, visit the caregiving section of the Alzheimer’s Association website.
Referring Care for a Patient or Friend.
You have a lifetime of memories in your home, and we know you want to stay there as long as possible. At Rent a Daughter we understand that living at home can present many challenges in your senior years.
We believe it’s our privilege to provide exceptional care at all times – from our heart, to your home.